Friday, February 19, 2010

Trip 3

This last drive in was the hardest. Harder to stay awake and there was more traffic. Lots more. Because of internet issues in the DR I can not access my blog there. So, I was hoping to write a bunch when I got here to the hospital in Port au Prince again. But, I am really tired from driving since midnight and then getting the truck unloaded, which can be a long process when you are in line behind 3 big rigs. My brain is a little foggy and I need to rest before I start the drive back in a little bit.

The hospital is on the outskirts of Port au Prince and the damage is visible but not that bad. My plan is to organize a trip here where i could stay a night or two and get into the damaged areas and maybe even help out in some way. Just from dealing with the trasportation and unloading I can see that not speaking French or Creole would make me nearly useless here.

It is definitely better for me to be based in the DR. There I can communicate with the kids at the orphanage. They have me assigned to the house of boys aged 8-10. We have been telling lots of jokes, dancing to Michael Jackson and having karate fights. Good fun. I've also been able to play some basketball with some of the older kids.

It is really time to nap now. Take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment