Saturday, February 6, 2010

Like many of you, I was deeply affected by the recent tragedy in Haiti. So I've decided to go there to help. Next Thursday, I'll be flying to the Dominican Republic for 5 weeks, to work with an orphanage organization that runs homes there and in Haiti.

I'm not sure what to expect, but I contacted them, and they need assistance. So, I'm going and hope to bring as many supplies, medical and otherwise, as I can. I will be using this blog to let everyone know about my experiences down there. So, keep checking in.

Right now I have got a small, but great crew of people helping to raise money and much needed supplies. If you live close and would like to contribute any of the needed items let me know. You can donate money directly to the NPH Haiti fund via there website nph.org. Or, if you catch me before I go you can donate to me to help pay the costs of bringing supplies over.

NPH - Nuestros Pequenos Hermanos (Our Little Brothers and Sisters) - is an international organization with orphanages throughout Latin America. I first learned of NPH in 1999 when I was volunteering at a mission next door to their Nicaragua home. I began working at the NPH home in 2000 and continued visiting and volunteering until 2005.

NPH’s 50 plus years of dedication to helping orphaned and abandoned children, as well as those from families with severe hardships has impressed me immensely. As soon as I heard about the earthquake I remembered that NPH had a home there. As events unfolded I followed the news from Haiti and the Dominican Republic through the NPH website.

The initial stories were tragic. There were reports of collapsed buildings and deaths of volunteers and staff. Fortunately, the orphanage building did not fall and all the kids survived. But the NPH center with volunteer housing, admin offices, and a school completely collapsed. The children’s hospital, run by NPH, sustained minor damages and became a major trauma center. Teams of medical staff (many, volunteers from other countries) were performing around the clock operations in three separate operating rooms.

Just reading the stories was so overwhelming. I could not imagine what the people who are there were going through. And, at the same time, I was so inspired by what they were able to accomplish with so few resources in such a desperate situation.

So I'm heading there Thursday, and I'd love your help. Please give if you can. It all makes a big difference down there.

Thanks,
Colin

No comments:

Post a Comment